Nonthaburi is found in history as a part of Krung Si Ayutthaya. In the year 1636, King Prasat Thong commanded a canal be dug as a short cut from Ban Talat Khwan to the mouth of Bang Kruai Canal, a total distance of five kilometers. In 1665, King Narai the Great gave a royal command to build a fortress at the mouth of Khlong Mae Nam Om and the township area was moved there. The fortress was demolished during the reign of King Rama III to reuse the bricks for the construction of Wat Chalerm Phra Kiat. In 1928, King Phra Pok Klao gave a royal command to relocate the township area to the present site. Nonthaburi was once consolidated with Krung Thep on January 1, 1943. However, it was reestablished as an independent province on May 9, 1946.
Nonthaburi occupies an area of 622.3 square kilometers, only 20 kilometers from Bangkok, and is conveniently accessed by both land and water. It consists of six Amphoes: Muang, Pak Kret, Bang Kruai, Bang Yai, Bang Bua Thong and Sai Noi.
Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat, in Tambon Bang Si Muang, Amphoe Muang, was commanded by King Rama III to be constructed of bricks from the demolition of a fortress built in the reign of King Narai the Great. It was dedication to King Rama III's grandparents and the Princess Mother. There are several religious buildings in the area. Inside the main shrine hall (Ubosot) are beautiful mural paintings while beautiful stucco designs decorated with porcelain on the gable, door and window frames are seen outside.
Wat Prasat is on Bang Kruai - Bang Bua Thong Road in the area of Tambon Bang Krang, Amphoe Muang. The Ubosot is of Ayutthaya art having sophisticated craftsmanship. The designs on the gable of the niche entering the Ubosot and the mural paintings maintain special characteristics of the Nonthaburi school of arts which often visited by archaeological students.
Wat Chomphuwek is located in Tambon Tha Sai, Amphoe Muang, on Sanam Bin Nam-Nonthaburi Road. There are beautiful mural paintings in the Vihara and Ubosot, as well as, Mon style pagodas.
Floating Market at Khlong Bang Khu Wiang is located at the mouth of Khlong Bang Khu Wiang. Tambon Bang Rao Nok, Amphoe Bang Kruai. It takes about 10 minutes from Amphoe Bang Kruai by boat to go to this floating market .
The floating market starts around 5:00 a.m. everyday and finishes when the sun is hot, shortly before midday. Sellers bring a large variety of fruits, vegetables and foods in their small rowing boats. Monks also come in rowing boats and the people will present food to them. The floating market offers a pictures of Traditional Thai life scarcely seen nowadays.
Wat Chonprathan Rangsarit, a Thammayutti Monastery, is located in Tambon Bang Talat, Amphoe Pak Kret and is in the area of the Royal Irrigation Department. Even though it is a newly constructed monastery it is of beautifully styled architecture. Its compound is pleasantly shady and a remarkable place for studying the Lord Buddha's teachings.
Wat Khema Phirataram is on Phiboon Songkhram Road, Tambon Suan Yai, Amphoe Muang, two kilometers from the town. It was built in the Ayutthaya period and was renovated in the reigns of Kings Rama II and IV of the Ratanakosin era. Buddha images of the Ayutthaya period are in the Ubosot, Tamnak Daeng Building and Phra Thinang Monthian Hall.
Wat Ku, located in Tambon Bang Phut, Amphoe Pak Kret, four kilometers from the district town, was constructed at the time when the Mon people led by Phraya Cheng migrated into the Kingdom. This was during the reign of King Taksin of the Thon Buri era. Construction is of Mon architecture having mural paintings in Mon style. There is a building constructed to commemorate King Rama V's Queen Sunantha, who was drowned by shipwreck. Her body was temporarily placed in the monastery pryor to transfer into Bangkok.
Wat Paramaiyikawat, located in Tambon Ko Kret, Amphoe Pak Kret, is constructed in Mon style architecture. The main attractions are a large reclining Buddha, mural paintings, a Mon style marble carved pagoda and the principal image in the Ubosot. There is a village, on Ko Kret (Kret Island),where the villagers produce ancient Mon style pottery called "Kwan Aman". It is accessible by a ferry from Wat Sanam Nua which is located not far from the Amphoe Pak Kret office.
Suan Tan Noi is a flower garden located on the Chao Phraya River bank amidst an orchard. Within are typical Thai houses and a Mon village. To reach the garden one proceeds over the Nonthaburi Bridge passing Wat Ko Kriang, Wat Bang Tanai and Wat Tan. Another way to get there is to park the vehicle at Pak Kret Landing or at Wat Ku and then preceded to the garden by a ferry. It is open every day from 08:00 to 17:00 hours.
Suan Thip is a flower garden located on the bank of the Chao Phraya River. Typical Thai style houses and restaurant are inside. It is open every day from 10:00 to 17:00 hours.
Nonthaburi Fruits Fair is held from April to June to celebrate the abundance of such local fruits as durian, mangoesteen and mangoes when they are at the peak of succulent ripeness. There are stalls selling produce and local products, colorful processions of floats decorated with fruits and flowers, beauty pageants, fruit contests, cultural shows, exhibitions of provincial handicrafts and agricultural produce and local entertainment.