Notification of Staying longer than 90 days ; 90-Days Reporting

See Video of Immigration Office (other page)

Latest : It has been announced that since April 2015 it is possible to supply the Notification of Staying Longer than 90 Days by an online process. For the time being this is only possible with an Internet Explorer browser. Check out this link : Immigration Bureau Info for online application and guidelines to use.

The info below may still be useful to read though.

If you are permitted to stay in Thailand with a long term visa (like a retirement visa), you still have to report to immigration every 90 days. Regulations can be just a bit confusing (and not intuitive) so we just want to highlight what you should be doing.

If you enter the country (through immigration) you can start counting the 90 days from that day. A 7 day window is allowed. You can report to immigration during the week prior and the week after the calculated day.

If you report to immigration, you will receive a slip indicating the next day when you are supposed to drop by.

Now, there is something quite confusing about this issue. If you go to immigration to RENEW or EXTEND your visa, this DOES NOT count as a visit necessary to report to immigration. Different section at immigration handle different things.

Example :
You report to immigration on 1 February. You will be given a note telling you to report back on (or around) 1 May.
In March you need to go to immigration to renew your one-year visa. Do not make the error of thinking the 90 days start counting from the day of this visit.
You still will have to go to immigration on 1 May.

Reporting otherwise is one of the more easily achieved procedures at immigration. You simply need to fill out the necessary form (TM. 47). No copies of passport pages or passport pictures are necessary, if you report in person.

Waiting at Immigration

Waiting at Immigration on average takes between 90 and 120 minutes


There are penalties for not reporting or reporting late.
If you are ill or incapacitated, you can have a relative or friend do the reporting for you.
You can report by mail. However, when we asked for information, we were told that this is only possibly if you are staying OUTSIDE Bangkok. When in Bangkok, you will have to go to immigration yourself (or send a friend/relative).
When reporting by mail, you need copies of :
(below copied from the website of the immigration office)

  1. Copy of ALL passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM. 6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM. 47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail 7 days before the renewal date to :

    BANGKOK. 10120

For details contact 0-2285-5142, 0-2287-3101-10 ext.2262, 2263

You can DOWNLOAD the form (TM. 47) necessary from the website.