Phichit was probably built by Phraya Khot Thabong in 1058. The community was named Sa Luang during the Sukhothai period (1238 - 1350) and was designated a Thai province during the reign of King Rama V (1868 - 1910) .
The province covers an area of 4,531.0 square kilometers and borders Phitsanulok to the north, Phetchabun to the east, Nakhon Sawan the south and Kamphaeng Phet to the west. Administratively, Phichit is divided into 8 Amphoes: Muang, Bang Mun Nak, Pho Prathap Chang, Thale, Sam Ngam, Taphan Hin, Tap Khlo and Wang Sai Phun. It is 360 kilometers north of Bangkok.
Wat Tha Luang is situated on the west bank of Mae Nam Nan near the Provincial Hall. It houses a bronze Buddha image cast in the attitude of subduing evil from the Chiang Saen period in the main shrine hall. This image is believed to have been brought from the north, by Khun Phaen, to be enshrined there. The name of the Buddha image is "Luang Pho Phet" and has a lap width of 1.40 meters. It is regarded an important Budha image of Phichit which is highly respected by the inhabitants.
Bung Sifai swamp is located 1 km. west of Phichit Market and has water all year round. It is a fish breeding area surrounded by lotus which are grown by the people for the flowers and leaves. In the area there is a park called 'Suan Somdet Phra Si Nakharfn". It is a nice place for relaxation and picnicing. The place also has Phichit Crocodile Auditorium, an auditorium constructed in the shape of a crocodile, since Phichit was once full of crocodiles. Main functional part is the 'Stomach' which contains at most 30 persons in an air - conditioned hall. Its other dimensions are as follow: 38 meters long, 3 meters high and 4.5 meters long for the mouth. There is also an Aquarium which is open daily from 10:00-19:00 hrs.
The Old City Park is located on Phichit Wang Child Rd. about 7 kms. from Phichit. It is believed that this area used to be the old Phichit town approximately 900 years ago. In the park, there is an arboretum whic is a peaceful relaxing place for local people. In addition, there are Ko Si Mala, Tham Chalawan and sculptures of importance from a Thai literature ('Kraithong').
Wat Mahathatis located in the area of the Old City Park and is presumed to have been constructed in Sukhothai period. Objects of art found during excavation in this wat are pottery and Buddha images of various eras.
Wat Nakhon Chum is an ancient monastery located in Tambon Muang Kao in the old city, 9 kms. from town. It was utilized as for oath-taking ceremonies in the old days. This is the place where an old Main Shrine Hall and an 800 year old Buddha image are located.
Wat Pho Prathap Chang, located in Tambon Pho Prathap Chang, 27 kms. from town on Phichit-Wang Chik-Pho Prathap Chang Route, is an ancient monastery surrounded by walls. It once was used by King Narai the Great as a camp site for his troops. It is also the place where King Sua or King Sanphet VIII was born.
Wat Khao Rup Chang is located approximately 15 kms. south of Phichit on Phichit - Taphan Hin Road. It has a main shrine hall built on a hilltop where white rocks stack up forming an elephant figure. A Walking Buddha and replica of Buddha's Footprints are housed in this monastery.
Phra Buddha Ket Mongkhon is also called 'Luang Pho To Taphan Hin', the largest Sitting Buddha, openly enshrined in Wat Heva Prasat. The construction was completed in 1970. It has a lap width of 20 meters, a height of 24 meters and was named by H.M. the king as "Phra Buddha Ket Mongkhon".
Phichit Annul Boat Racing takes place every first Saturday and Sunday of September on the Mae Nam Nan near Wat Tha Luang. The main features of the festival are boat racing, boat parade and beauty contest which are colorful and exciting.